Liquid soap is becoming a very popular product in the country today and it is really a profitable business. Many use it for domestic purposes at home to wash clothes and kitchen utensils; restaurants and eateries are not left out too. One interesting thing that makes the demand for liquid soap to be very high is the fact that it is easier and cheaper to use than every other washing substances. Little wonder a lot of people are now venturing into the business. Capital for production is usually very low. Depending on your location, production of 20 liters of liquid soap may just cost N3000 – N5000.
This article has been carefully written to guide those who may wish to produce liquid soap by themselves. You can start the business today on your own and specialize in the production and marketing of liquid soaps to make a lot of money for yourself.
Tools needed for liquid soap making
- Plastic bowl
- Hand gloves
- Nose mask
- Stirring rod
|2||Nitrosol or Antisol or C.M.S||1 kg||Thickener|
|3||Caustic Soda or Soda Ash||½ kg||Cleansing agent|
|4||Sulphonic Acid||3 liters||Foaming agent|
|5||Texapon||1 liter||Foaming agent|
|6||Sodium Laurate Sulphate (S.L.S)||5 – 6 tbs|
|7||Sodium Tripolyphosphate (S.T.P.P)||5 – 6 tbs|
Water is the main solvent needed for the process to dissolve the various ingredients and also during fermentation phase. It is very essential in the production of liquid soap.
This serves as a thickener in the production of the liquid soap. It comes as a whitish substance and has the texture of a powdered milk. Nitrosol will dissolve immediately in water, but Antisol takes longer time to dissolve in water.
It is whitish crystalline substances that looks much like a sample of granulated sugar. It forms a strong base when dissolved in water and can be corrosive if in contact with the skin. It is an essential ingredient in the soap making process. This is the stain or dirt removing agent in the liquid soap.
Soda Ash (Sodium carbonate):
This is also a whitish substance but with much coarse grains, it serves to regulate the concentration of the Caustic Soda which ordinarily is corrosive to the skin. It helps to neutralize it.
SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate):
The SLS looks like rice grains and it’s whitish in colour too. It is a surfactant which helps to lower the surface tension of the aqueous solution. It is the main active foaming agent.
The Taxapon is a pasty and jellylike substance, it also functions as a foaming agent and serves as foaming booster too. Many liquid soap producers don’t use Texapon and SLS together in same production; reason because both perform almost same function. They go with just one.
This is a dark looking liquid substance. It serves to boost the performance of the SLS, it is also a foaming and cleaning agent. Please the word spells S-U-L-P-H-O-N-I-C and not S-U-L-P-H-U-R-I-C. The latter is very strong acid and can be very corrosive. please beware.
STPP (Sodium Tripolyphosphate):
STPP is a sodium salt of triphosphoric acid. It has the appearance of white crystal powder and looks very much like a table salt. It is a strong cleaning agent too and helps the SLS to work on its full potential.
This also comes in liquid form and has transparent looks. As the name implies, it makes the liquid soap to foam very well.
The preservative agent. It should be used if the soap is to be stored for a long time like six months, especially if one is producing for commercial purposes. Please you can do without this chemical. It is very harmful if abused, it can cause CANCER.
This normally comes as a powder and should be diluted with water before adding to the soap mixture. The colour adds beauty to the finished product. Most producers go with green colour.
Usually helps your skin to remain hydrated and soft after using the soap.
This gives your soap a sweet fragrance. Most people prefer the lemon, pineapple, ambipur. lavender or strawberry fragrance in their production.
Offers a great deal of protection to the skin. E.g from damage, wrinkles etc.
STEPS TO MAKE LIQUID SOAP IN NIGERIA
- Dissolve caustic soda in one liter of water and allow to cool for 24 hours or overnight. Please keep all chemicals out of reach of children. Caustic soda is corrosive to the skin.
- In a separate container pour in sulphonic acid, add perfume, texapon and then add 3 – 4 liters of water and stir very well for some minutes
- Dissolve the SLS with 2 tin milk cups of water
- Dissolve the STPP with 2 tin milk cups of water
- Dissolve 1 kg of nitrosol into 20 liters of water and stir. It dissolves almost immediately. If you’re using C.M.C you’ll have to wait for 2 days to dissolve properly
- Add the already dissolved texapon, sulphonic acid and, perfume into the dissolved nitrosol or C.M.C and stir very well
- Pour in dissolved caustic soda or soda ash into the dissolved solution of nitrosol or C.M.C and stir
- Add dissolved STPP and SLS and stir
- Add formalin for preservation if necessary
- Dissolved colorant into the water, mix well then add to the solution and stir thoroughly
- If you feel it is too thick add a little water and stir
- Leave the solution for some hours.
- Package and sell
QUALITIES EXPECTED FROM A GOOD LIQUID SOAP
- Your soap is expected to foam very well.
- It must have a sweet fragrance.
- The colour must be appealing.
- Must be durable.
- Must not cause any form of irritation to the skin.
PRECAUTIONS AND SAFETY DURING PRODUCTION
- Wear rubber gloves
- Use nose mask
- Carryout production in a well-ventilated environment with good illumination.
- In case of chemical splash to the face or delicate part of the body, wash very well with plenty water and see a physician as soon as you can.
- Keep all chemicals out of reach of children.
- Never taste any chemical with the tongue.
- Wear your apron or other protective clothing before you commence production.
- Most importantly, use your head. Don’t play with chemicals please.
What you may experience at first: At first productions, you may experience that the solution is very thick or watery. Here are some remedies:
- Add water to the solution and stir
- Always add natrosol to water and not water to nitrosol
- Make sure your measurement is correct.
One really needs a great deal of patience during stirring to make sure any chemical added in any stage dissolves properly before adding the next one